Subject: Re: New ide system step 2 (with DMA !)
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/30/1998 02:19:02
On May 29, Matt Thomas wrote
> Works fine a PPro200 (82371SB) but loses on my laptop (ISA/VLbus IDE;
> fails to mount root) and under NetBSD/alpha on a PC164SX (panic when
> mounting root trying to load a map that has never been created).
> [Also has compilation problems under NetBSD/alpha.]
>
> Given the above it makes me quite nervous about the stability of these
> patches.

Well, it's still alpha quality, sure. It has been only been tested on i386,
and quite recent ones. But I'm using it for some time now on my pc, so I
think that on i386, if you don't have problems with disks read only, you should
not have problems once read/write.

For the alpha problem, could you have a look at it (or at last provide
more details) ? I don't have access to such hardwares.
For your laptop could you try to disable the 32bit data access ?
(just comment out the line 155 'sc->sc_wdcdev.cap |= WDC_CAPABILITY_DATA32;'
in wdc_isa.c). If not then it should be a problem with PIO modes settings.
You can try to short-cirtuit the pio mode settings in wdc_ata_ctrl_intr()
(file dev/ata/ata_wdc.c) and wdc_probe_caps() (file dev/ic/wdc.c).
I assumed all drives should work in lower mode settings this may
not be true for all hardware.