Subject: Re: NetBSD/Alpha
To: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/25/1998 09:45:38
At 8:14 PM -0500 5/24/98, Chad Mynhier wrote:
>"Michael G. Schabert" writes:
>>
>>It's an AlphaStation 200 4/166, which from what I've read should definitely
>>be supported. It's pretty standard, 24 MB RAM (2 4 MB & 2 8MB SIMMs),
>>floppy drive, the standard 8 MB ZLXp video card. It also has a PC card dard
>>in one of its ISA slots.
>>

>If the video card has 8MB, it's the ZLXp-E2 card, which isn't supported
>by NetBSD.  You can verify this by looking at the video card -- if it has
>a Bt463 RAMDAC, the card's unsupported.

OK, that was the problem. I didn't know how to tell E1 from E2 & E3, so I
didn't know which I had. As I'm a port-mac68k follower, I don't know
anything anout the alpha port, is the E2 close to being supported, or
should I start advertising for someone with an E1 to swap. Does Alpha
support serial console, & could I enable that & leave out a video card
altogether? As I plan to use it as a headless server, I wouldn't miss the
video if it'd get it to boot.

Thank you for your help,
Mike

ps if anyone on the alpha list is responding, please make sure that you cc:
it to me, as I'm not on the list & really can't afford yet another mailing
list, but if I get this thing running, I'll abandon the mac68k port
altogether & subscribe to the alpha list, since I won't need to run it on
my Mac anymore.

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.