Subject: Re: NetBSD/Alpha
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/24/1998 22:31:04
On Sun, 24 May 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

>>"Michael G. Schabert" writes:
>>>     <NOTE: This is being sent to both
>>>     port-mac68k@NetBSD.org as well as port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
>>
>>You are sending a message about a sparc to the m68k list and the alpha
>>list?
>>
>>> I recently obtained a SparcStation with no software (actually, no hard
>>> drive) to play with. I wish to put NetBSD/Alpha onto it,
>>
>>What would make you think that a Sparc could run code intended for an
>>Alpha, any more than it could run code intended for a 68040?
>>
>>.pm
>
>Oops, I have Sun on the brain...I have an AlphaStation 200. I dunno why I
>said SparcStation, other than I'm a lot more familiar with them from
>college than the DECs. Please do global search/replace & switch any
>SparcStations into AlphaStations ;-).
>
>As for running 68k code, I wasn't trying to use 68k code. I downloaded the
>NetBSD/Alpha binary set USING my Mac68k machine (in MacOS), and used SoftPC
>to create the boot floppy that I tried, and used the Mac68k installer to
>try to install the Alpha binary snapshot onto the Hard Drive that I
>attached to the AlphaStation.

This pretty much for sure won't work, NetBSD/Mac lives inside apple
partitions so that it can live on and share drives with the MacOS, your
AlphaStation almost certianly doesn't grok the bit paterns on the hard
drive that you did this to.  I wouldn't even be reasonably sure
that the floppy you created has the right bit paterns either.

If I was you I would send a message to the NetBSD/Alpha list asking for
suggestions.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com