Subject: Suggestions for AlphaPC164 for NetBSD
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Yuri Gindin <yuri@xpert.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/11/1998 11:52:54
Hello Alphers,

I need some help from you. I suppose to buy an AlphaPC164 and use NetBSD
on it. Currently I run NetBSD-current on SparcLX but it's to slow and
I want to buy some  faster computer like alpha.
I have the followin questions about what system to buy ?
1) Motherboard, processor and cache. SX or  LX or other 533MHz or 600MHz,
1MB or 2MB of external cache ? What are the approximate price differences?

2) SCSI or PCI-IDE. I saw that PCI-IDE is supported in current.
If SCSI what controller is the best and cheap (NCR/ISP/Adaptec/other)
and from which I can boot with the latest SRM ?

3) Sound card. What is supported on this systems under NetBSD?

4) Framebuffer. What is supported by -current's Xserver ?

5) Network card, I suppose that many supported. What is the best bet and
not expensive ?

Thanx in advance.
NetBSD is a great OS.

--Yuri Gindin
Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd.
Work phone: +972-3-6181118
Mobile phone: +972-53-544882
Home phone: +972-3-6735883
PGP Key fingerprint = 5D 56 0B 88 F1 51 4B F7  52 FE 62 28 76 0A 18 77
PGP public key available via http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/pks-commands.html