Subject: Re: Source for AlphaPC 164SX?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/23/1998 19:56:40
Be *very careful* to ensure that any AlphaPC64 machines you buy either already have SRM on
them or can be returned.  There seems to be some kind of bug in the flash writer utility
that occasionally *completely erases* the flash part, leaving no way to return the machine
to a useful state without converting the entire SRM image to S-records and uploading it
via the SROM debugger, using a special serial cable (which I don't have.)

I have two (well, I have one and a friend has one) AlphaPC64 machines which are in this
state, as well as one expensive strange-AT case with DEC-recommended 3.3V power supply.  I
would love to have a running Alpha system at home again but just haven't had the time to
build the MMJ cable or convert the SRM image to S-records or... you get the idea.

The firmware is available as part of the "EBSDK", the Evaluation Board Software Development Kit
which cost $100 when I ordered mine from DEC.

Also be aware that these machines have a 128-bit memory bus, requiring quads of 60ns parity
FPM SIMMS.

Thor