Subject: Re: Source for AlphaPC 164SX?
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/23/1998 16:44:03
>  > I called and got the sales guy "Steve". I told him I was looking for an EB64
>  > or EB64+ board. He said that that was an old board and that he did have
>  > these AlphaPC64 boards.
>  >
>  > I asked if it ran NetBSD and he said it did (add grain of salt here).
>  > Anybody beg to differ?
>
> There is some support for the EB64+ in NetBSD.  The EB64+-specific PCI
> stuff was ripped out during the license scandal that some of you might
> remember.

> I have very thorough documentation on the EB64+, so rewriting these
> bits should be about a day or two's worth of work.

>  > Steve called the board a "Cabriolet", which my roommates tell me was a VM
>  > convertable also. Perhaps I mispronounced it.
>
> Nope, you've got it right.  Although, lots of other automobile manufacturers
> have had "Cabriolet" models, too :-)
>
>  > The board comes with the processor and cache (but I don't remember how
>  > much). It doesn't come with the rest of the stuff needed to build a running
>  > system: memory, case, pw supply, etc. You get to add that. So it's cheap,
>  > but not as cheap as a first glance might let you think.
>  >
>  > Now, is $250 for a Cabriolet motherboard+cpu+cache a decent price?
>
> Probably, if it's a reasonably fast 21064 processor.  It's certainly going
> to be faster than an AXPpci33 or a Multia (and a lot more reliable than
> the latter!).

And to this I would add:

IIRC, EB64/EB64+ systems had firmware in a hard ROM.  To confuse the
issue, lots of times follow-on boards like the AlphaPC64 are called an
EB64, just like NetBSD used to call every AlphaPC164 an EB164. Either
way, I don't believe there is a gatekeeper SRM for this, but the
resellers seem to usually have a way to get it for you.  "Make it a
condition of your order."

I also think these boards use a somewhat unusual power supply that has
both 5v and 3.3v outputs but uses AT connectors. You should (1) buy it
assembled, or (2) with a PS, or (3) know where to get such a PS, or
(4) use an ATX power supply if you know how to crimp on new connectors.

I managed to snag one of these supplies for $6 on the necx "outlet
center" page two weeks ago, but they seem to be gone now. (I should
have ordered more!)

Ross