Subject: Re: Trouble booting on Multia
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/21/1998 13:18:37
> Here at Jupiter we use Multias with proprietary software as X terminals.
> We have had a large number fail with a number of different symptoms.  We
> finally tracked all of the problems down to one of 6 Resistor Packs on the
> bottom of the PCB.  The RPs develope shorts between adjacent pins.  By
> replacing these RPs we cleaned up our entire bone pile.
>
> Jack

Wow. If this is indeed the usual problem you have really helped a lot of
people. This report does fit with an earlier successful multia repair that
was done by cleaning the boards.

I suppose I should amend my earlier axppci33 advice by pointing out that
the multia has the only frame buffer netbsd alpha has ever supported.
Although there do seem to be temporary problems with the code, we can
fix that up for a multia revival... :-)

Ross