Subject: Re: Trouble booting on Multia
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com, ross@teraflop.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/20/1998 18:18:04
> Curious: How does an AXPpci33 compare in speed with, say, an Amiga 3000 (25
> MHz)?
>
> I mean, obviously it's much faster. Is it fast enough to be "perky"? Is it
> "ok"? How would it's speed be described?
>
> Hmmm, gotta love subjective questions.

It's not so hard to answer, actually. Multia's and AXPpci33's are _slow_, but
not nearly as slow as a 25 MHz 68K. That would be more like "glacial".

	Very roughly:	AXPpci33	 4 * 68k on integer
					10 * 68k on FP

If you spend another $150 or so, you can get a mainboard based on the 21064,
instead of 21066, and this has twice the memory speed or something...it should
get you around 8x the 68k. However, the AXPpci33 needs only 5v, whereas most
of the 21064 boards for which srm is available will require a somewhat
unusual AT power supply with 3.3 and 5 volts.

For $1035 you can get an AlphaPC 164 LX mainboard...now _that_ will be fast.