Subject: Re: Unusable console
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mark H. Levine <yba@polytronics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/15/1998 16:49:06
   On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:52:20 -0700 (MST)
    Shane B <that1guy@azstarnet.com> wrote:

    > Using "sun" does nothing much for me either, scrolling does not work
    > properly.

   Defined "does not work properly".  If it skips 10 lines when it reaches
   the bottom of the screen, it's doing what is intended by the code.

I think in the context of using vi, the complaint is that inappropriate
scrolling occurs, and you cannot turn it off.  Also, the cursor motions
and things like clear to end of line don't work, one constantly ends up
repainting the screen to see what is really there,  Running the version
of top we have (I forgot what it is called) which uses the curses interface
to paint ascii graphs of usage on the screen is a great demo of this problem.
Large sections of screen go black when they should stay visible, as if the
termcap entry thinks ops are non-destructive when they overwrite text instead.