Subject: booting, SRM usage and wscons
To: NetBSD/Alpha port list <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Lepple <clepple@foo.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/22/1998 22:03:45
I just got my multia up and running (congrats to the authors of the
installer -- only took two tries, and I misread the instructions the
first time) and I realized how unfamiliar I am with the SRM console. (I
used linux before - and therefore, ARC)

Booting by hand works. At least, I can get it to boot single-user every
time. I did set $rc_configured to YES, and I don't get the accompanying
message that rc should print. Instead, I get the init prompt ("Enter
pathname of shell..."). This is with 'boot dka0'.

Shouldn't it boot multiuser when I don't specify "-s"? And what to
I have to do to make this be the default boot configuration? (ie "Save
Changes..." with ARC)

On a somewhat related note, doing anything with wscons (and here I refer
specifically to before getting NetBSD all configured and ready to exit
to multiuser) is a little tough. Eventually I found that "ansi" for the
terminal type allowed me to edit files with vi, but with almost any
other screen-oriented program, wscons would scroll roughly the top 5 to
8 lines off the screen, and the prompt (for less, and the like) would
appear at the very bottom of the screen.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, thanks to everyone who put in their
$0.02 on the status of the ncr driver.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@foo.org || clepple@ugrad.ee.vt.edu