Subject: RE: Alpha (fwd)
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/11/1998 09:35:28
At 08:53 AM 2/11/98 , Tim Rightnour wrote:
>I read a similar news item about the alpha.. saying that it's fate is really
>undecided.  That on the one hand Compaq won't piss off intel by directly
>competing with it.  But on the other hand digital did so, and bought Intel
>chips by the barrel at the same time.

Compaq already pisses off Intel by buying AMD and Cyrix chips.  Anyways
Intel will be making Alpha chips so why would Intel care either way.

>But either way.. I expect the alpha to die pretty quickly.  I can't imagine
>compaq is actually interested in that market group, and will gleefully cut
>thier costs and move thier alpha people over to Merced.

Move from a working product to vaporware at least 18 months out?  Ya, right.
(and that's slower too).

>As a side note..  I'll bet you 10:1 you can kiss Digital Unix and OpenVMS
>goodbye.

No way.  Digital UNIX and OpenVMS are Compaq's way of entering the corporate
data centers.  NT just doesn't cut it as 365x24 operating system.
Nashua, NH                Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message