Subject: Re: INSTALL.alpha document available!
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/26/1997 22:17:41
As Curt Sampson wrote...

> The first cut of the INSTALL document for the alpha port is on
> ftp.netbsd.org in
>
>     /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3_BETA/alpha/INSTALL.alpha
>
> I would *really* appreciate it if you folks out there could give
> this document a going-over, and even do an install while following

You asked for some comments, here are mine:

>>typo:
        of the user and as such all swap partitions need to be added
        to /etv/fstab.  Common symptoms of upgrades missing this
	    ^--- /etc

>> the last time I checked ftp.nl.netbsd was very incomplete. Are
>> mirrors supposed to be full mirrors?
	Netherlands
	*   ftp://ftp.nl.netbsd.org/pub/comp/NetBSD

>> gnutar can do a an un-gzip itself so:

	contained in the set, you could use the command:
        cat set_name.?? | gunzip | tar tvf -
	or to actually extract the files contained in the set:
        cat set_name.?? | gunzip | tar xfp -

can become
	cat set_name.?? | tar tzf -

etc

>> boot from) or you'll have to set up an NFS server to boot from as
>> described later in this document.

   Make this BOOTP/TFTP/NFS server or is floppy-less, so network-only install
   unsupported?

>> In the BOOTP section adding the following example might be useful to people
using ISC dhcpd (which contrary to it's name also serves BOOTP)

host axp {
        hardware ethernet 0:0:f8:20:7f:45;
        fixed-address 192.168.200.9;
        option host-name "axp.my.domain";
        filename "/local/netbsd-1.3/netboot.alpha.axp33";
        option root-path "/local/netbsd-1.3";
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.200.1;
        option broadcast-address 255.255.255.0;
        option domain-name "my.domain";
}

>> Information on how to set up the ewa* console variables might be useful.
>> A console setup for MOP boot can keep you in suspense. So something like

ewa0_mode               BNC
ewa0_protocols          BOOTP

>>     will give you a list of the network interfaces on your system.
    It will show you your ethernet cards first, followed by lo0
    (the loopback interface that we configured above), ppp0 (the
    PPP interface) and sl0 (the SLIP interface).

Question: are the fpa/fea (fddi) interfaces also present in the menu? The
last bootfloppy I tried could use the fpa in my AXPpci33 OK. I did not try
the actual install though.

Hope the above is of any use,

Wilko
----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  ------