Subject: Re: State of ALPHA alpha 1.3
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Tim Rightnour <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/10/1997 09:55:51
On 10-Dec-97 Curt Sampson spoke unto us all:
# > Most likely if you are running alpha.. it would be my guess that you don't
# > really need a "drool proof" install like sysinst.  The boot floppy would be
# > nice to get working though.  (it actually seems to work for me quite well..
# > other than the overruns, which are an annoyance.. not a "problem")
# Yeah, that's what I'd figured. I would like to have it simple enough
# that we might be able to easily convert some of the more sophisticated
# Linux users, though. Initial frustration on the install is a good
# way to turn someone away.

Yeah.. when the instructions say: dump the rz25 image to your disk.  I think
that right there is enough to scare anyone off.  If I wasn't such a die hard
netbsd user.. I probably would have tried one of the other OS's after reading

A larger problem is linux's ability to boot off WIN NT only machines..  Isn't
the LILO boot loader smaller in memory than the SRM console..  probably a good
feature as well..

Tim Rightnour    -