Subject: Re: successful netboot of 1.3 on Multia
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/25/1997 19:17:00
As Tim Rightnour wrote...
> On 24-Nov-97 Wilko Bulte spoke unto us all:
> # Start tt class, port (graphics, keyboard, then serial) drivers
> # entering idle loop
> # DEC AXPpci166 MT Common Console X4.5-780, built on Feb 23 1996 at 22:03:13
> # change stdin/out/err c
>
> Is that the SRM console version number??  looks nothing like mine..

Yep. Not surprising, it was never released to the world outside DEC. I just
wanted to see if it worked OK on my borrowed-from-DEC Multia.

> version                 BL5 V3.8-3 Aug 10 1995 03:22:55
>
> Soren reported to me that 3.8-2 works for netbooting..and he tried 3.8-3 (what
> I have, and what is on gatekeeper) and it does not work..

I also tried the gatekeeper version here, with the same lack of results.

> I for one would truly appreciate this code.. I'm going to build a floppy and
> hack my way into a netboot (via a horribly slow flopy kernel load.. UGH)  But
> would like the ability to just have it boot without having to do something so
> greusome.

Be assured that I'll try to find out if the code can go outside Digital.

Digital being Digital this might take anything from no time at all
(very unlikely) to infinite time (unfortunately more likely). There is
also the potential the powers in charge will refuse altogether.

Wilko
----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  ------