Subject: Re: subtle breakage
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/14/1997 10:15:20
> > [ big complaint about separate toolchain ]
>
> "It's not our fault".  Some of the alpha modules have CMU copyrights.
> These allow redistribution and are in fact quite reasonable, but they
> can't go back to the FSF (and then bounce back with GPL's) until CMU
> provides (as they promised) an assignment.

Or, until somebody who _can_ do the right assignment sits down and
rewrites the code.  At least to get gcc working again, I figure that's
likely to take probably a day or two, at most.  ("just look at the
existing specs, or gcc -v to see what it's doing in various cases..."
Also, the Linux Alpha ELF config file goes a long way to the right
place...)

Other than gcc, gdb needs to have software single-stepping hacked into
it (which didn't take me long, so it shouldn't take somebody else long
8-).

I think that (for ELF binaries), the gcc + gdb changes (plus config
file changes all around; clone Linux Alpha ELF ones) are almost all
that's necessary.

If you think CMU's going to come through and do the right thing, I
think you're mistaken.  I tried getting the right set of words out of
them for 6+ months before I left, and for probably 4 or so months
after I left.  No luck.  Unfortunately, apparently the guy who signed
the paperwork for previous FSF submissions is no longer allowed to do
so.

cgd