Subject: Re: more info on Jensen bootp capability versus console firmware rev
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/07/1997 23:51:52
As Ross Harvey wrote...

> > *) Means I tried it myself
> >
> > Interestingly enough there are people that report that V2.0 works and
> > also people claiming it does not. I will try to obtain a FW CD containing
> > V2.0 firmware to verify this myself. This might prove difficult because
> > old CDs are likely to end in the dumpster.
> >
> > Wilko

> Hmm, it's possible that your results would apply to various old boxes,
> and not just the Jensen, but ISTM like you are using the update collection
> release numbers, and NOT the SRM console version number.

Your wish is my command: as you probably have received an earlier email
in which I list the results of a stack of FW CD revs. They include the
SRM rev # 'cause I found a number of CDs with multiple code revs on them ;-)

> If I'm right, then your info won't be of any use unless you list the
> version of of the SRM console instead of the version of the disk. For
> one thing, a given update disk can have several versions of SRM on it.
> For another thing, the SRM banner printed is the SRM version ("6.9" or
> something) and not the upgrade disk release number.
> And yeah, as I was politely informed, the old boxes forever seem to use
> the "old" console. I just put SRM 6.9 on our ancient but wierdly fast

My V3.9 CD has V7.0 SRM for DEC3000 machines on it.

> 3000/500 server and, sure enough, it's still the old style SRM.

Flamingo's ain't bad. The 256 bit memory is OK.

Wilko
----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  --Yoda