Subject: Re: Availability NetBSD-1.3
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/07/1997 14:53:51
> Tom Linden writes:
> > I believe Linux is available. Post your query at axp-lst@redhat.com
>
> This is not the linux mailing list. Take the linux propaganda
> somewhere else.

Perry: chill, and please read the questions before flaming people who
reply.

The original query was (from Albert E. Leenders):
> Can you tell me is a port of NetBSD is available for the DEC 2000 AXP
> system ("Jensen PC", EISA/ISA). Could'nt find if at your FTP site.
> Do you know if any other (free) UNIX port is available ?

Curt Sampson replied that linux "may possibly run" on the Jensen, and
that people wanting to know should ask a "linux gooroo."  Tom's
message (which was a reply to _Curt's_) was confirming Curt's
suspicion, and pointing people in the right direction to ask if they
wanted a "canonical" answer or to find bits that they can run.

Matt Jacob and Wilko Bulte also replied that linux does in fact run on
the machine, and the latter provided RedHat's URL.

If somebody asks about NetBSD or other free UN*X systems are available
on a machine that NetBSD might support, do you _really_ think it's
wrong to provide them an informative answer?  If so, why didn't you
flame the other people who gave more or less the same answer?
(Amusing that two of those four, Curt and Matt, are NetBSD
developers!)

I, for one, much rather see a question answered correctly -- whether
or not the answer favors NetBSD -- than to not have it answered at all
or to have it answered incorrectly...

cgd