Subject: Re: more info on Jensen bootp capability versus console firmware rev
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/07/1997 12:36:03
> I have found the following information related to the [non]working of
> bootp in relation to the Jensen firmware revs. Maybe it is interesting
> to people.
>
> What works:
>
> V1.9  *
> V2.0
>
> What does not work:
>
> V2.0
> V2.1
> V2.2  *
>

> *) Means I tried it myself
>
> Interestingly enough there are people that report that V2.0 works and
> also people claiming it does not. I will try to obtain a FW CD containing
> V2.0 firmware to verify this myself. This might prove difficult because
> old CDs are likely to end in the dumpster.
>
> Wilko
> _     ______________________________________________________________________
> |   / o / /  _  Bulte  email: wilko@yedi.iaf.nl http://www.tcja.nl/~wilko
> |/|/ / / /( (_) Arnhem, The Netherlands - Do, or do not. There is no 'try'
> ----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  --Yoda

Hmm, it's possible that your results would apply to various old boxes,
and not just the Jensen, but ISTM like you are using the update collection
release numbers, and NOT the SRM console version number.

If I'm right, then your info won't be of any use unless you list the
version of of the SRM console instead of the version of the disk. For
one thing, a given update disk can have several versions of SRM on it.
For another thing, the SRM banner printed is the SRM version ("6.9" or
something) and not the upgrade disk release number.

And yeah, as I was politely informed, the old boxes forever seem to use
the "old" console. I just put SRM 6.9 on our ancient but wierdly fast
3000/500 server and, sure enough, it's still the old style SRM.

ross@teraflop.com