Subject: Crash when running out of memory
To: NetBSD/Alpha Users <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/13/1997 18:51:40
Using a very current kernel (a few hours old), if I run a program
that requests and uses a large amount of RAM, I can crash my AXPpci33
with an MMU fault at line 1022 of sys/vnode_if.h, which is the
`return' line below:

extern struct vnodeop_desc vop_strategy_desc;
static __inline int VOP_STRATEGY __P((struct buf *)) __attribute__ ((unused));
static __inline int VOP_STRATEGY(bp)
        struct buf *bp;
        struct vop_strategy_args a;
        a.a_desc = VDESC(vop_strategy);
        a.a_bp = bp;
        return (VCALL(bp->b_vp, VOFFSET(vop_strategy), &a));

This machine is diskless, and the swap is:

    /swapfile      none    swap    sw

With an older kernel, instead of doing this, it just wedged, but
still responded to pings.

Curt Sampson	   Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates