Subject: some more luck: crossbuils NBSD-alpha on Digital Unix
To: port-alpha list NetBSD <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/26/1997 21:14:54
I followed a couple of the suggestion I got on my previous post and
built a native Digital Unix version of gcc and in turn used that to
compile the toolchain I got from cjs.

This proved to work quite a bit better than my original attempt with
DUnix cc.

Some things remain:

- ld: lexsup.c uses the type u_quad_t and UQUAD_MAX.
  Both are nowhere to be found, so building ld fails. I suppose
  UQUAD_MAX is 0xffffffffffffffff ?? So, #define u_quad_t (unsigned long) ?

- in gcc/include/stddef.h the header file ansi.h is pulled in. That is
  it is attempted. There is no ansi.h on my machine, so it looks like
  the conditionals around the #include don't work well on D'Unix when
  crosscompiling.

  Suggestions for a clean fix are welcome.

- I also get:

        touch stmp-headers
        mv libgcc1.a libgcc1.cross || (echo You must find a way to make
libgcc1.
a; false
        )
        mv: rename libgcc1.a to libgcc1.cross: No such file or directory
        You must find a way to make libgcc1.a
        *** Exit 1

  Is this a problem? My current goal is to get a crossbuild environment
  running to build NetBSD kernels. Not the usermode stuff, as soon as I
  can run native NetBSD this problem gets solved automatically.

- And for gdb:

        findvar.c: In function `extract_floating':
        findvar.c:292: `HOST_BYTE_ORDER' undeclared (first use this
function)
        findvar.c:292: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
        findvar.c:292: for each function it appears in.)
        findvar.c: In function `store_floating':
        findvar.c:324: `HOST_BYTE_ORDER' undeclared (first use this
function)
        *** Exit 1

  I don't miss gdb, I never use it but it's a bit messy to see the build
fail.

That's about it. Suggestions are welcome of course.

Wilko