Subject: Re: crossbuild env for netbsd-alpha hosted on Digital Unix?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/25/1997 02:46:29
On September 24, you wrote:
> > An alternative for me would be to cross-host the generation environment
> > on a FreeBSD intel box. Any chance that will work? AFAIK cross compiling
> > on a 32 bit host for a 64 bit target can be done but is not advisable
>
> This should work, if you avoid optimisation. I've successfully run
> a NetBSD/alpha kernel compiled (without -O!) on a NetBSD/i386 box.

  Can gcc's optimizer be told to do things in a 64-bit clean way?  IMO
that would be very useful in a cross-compilation environment.  With so
many of us NetBSD'ers running multiple platforms (I'm running five)
the ability to do fully-clean cross compilation would be very nice.

  On a different note, is anyone working on AlphaServer 1000 support?
They're coming down in price, and I've been told the 21164/300 cpu
boards will work in the older 21064/233 machines, even the non-A
variety.

                             -Dave McGuire
                              mcguire@neurotica.com