Subject: getting NetBSD to run on Jensen machines
To: port-alpha list NetBSD <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/19/1997 23:14:58
Hi

Having just obtained a Jensen (aka AXP150 aka DEC2000/300) machine for
next to nothing (OK, it was $ 12) I'm now looking into getting NetBSD
to run on it. It currently runs Digital Unix 4.0D-FT OK. All the
required stuff (QVision VGA, DE422, AH1742A) are there.

There seems to be a bit of latent support in the -current
sources I grabbed from gatekeeper.dec.com (I work for DEC, this is
the fastest link for me). I got as far as putting the rz25image of
NetBSD 1.2 on a second disk and at least had the bootloader in action :-)
The kernel decides very quickly that this is a Jensen (very correctly.)
and politely tells me to buzz off.

Sofar, so good. My intention now is to create a crosscompile
environment under D'Unix so that I at least can hack/build kernels.
I've been using FreeBSD ever since the 386bsd era, but I'm new to
NetBSD. So, getting a crosscompile environment to work OK is new for me.

Is there any document that more or less completely explains which steps
to take? I've been playing with the cygnus .gz from gatekeeper but it
seems make coredumps here and there (ugh). I also tried building in on
D'Unix 4.0B on a different machine, same problem.

It could well be that I need a different/new cygnus .gz ????

Any help is much appreciated.

Wilko