Subject: Re: Kernel crashes when reading Exabyte
To: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/16/1997 20:33:00
At 08:20 PM 9/16/97 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>We have an Alpha running NetBSD which we use as a file server and for
>making backups.  It writes backups properly, but crashes on trying to
>read them.
>
>Can anyone help fix this?  Mycroft is too busy to help.  I can examine
>values with the kernel debugger, and report the results, but none of
>us knows what to examine.

What sort of Alpha?

Which Exabyte?

What kind of tape?

What else is in the system?

Posting the messages printed by the kernel on boot would be a help. Also
post the text printed out when the system is on it's way down.

Can you trigger the problem with anything other than the backup reading program
(restore?)? Like, dd?

Also check the obvious stuff (probably again) like SCSI termination, IDs, etc.

Is the Exabyte known to work on any other machines?
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/