Subject: Multia problem
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/28/1997 15:28:02
Hi,

I have a Multia on which I was running NetBSD until it went *POP* one day and
stopped working. Now, on switching the machine on, nothing is displayed on the
monitor, but the diagnostic LED is indicating that the self test is OK. There's
no obvious damage to the board.

I connected a terminal to the serial port (9600 8N1), and on powerup, the
machine says:

Brk 0 at 001303A8

001303A8! BPT

and then I'm in some kind of debugger or monitor of some description. I tried
commands like HELP and ? and the response was "Eh?". Typing Hex numbers and
pressing return gets the number back, typing 1 + 1 gets 00000002, O seems to
give a disassembly (of something) as do Esc and ~

So, does anyone know what this is, and or what might have happened to the
machine to make it do this instead of going into the SRM console like it used
to? Any hints on what I might do to get the machine running again?

I'm guessing that the machine is actually close to OK if it can do this much,
and hoping that the problem is probably something like the flash memory having
been scrambled, which is theoretically not too hard to fix, but I'm not sure
how to proceed from there.

Bernard.