Subject: Re: bootable cdrom
To: Carl S Shapiro <>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/14/1997 18:39:59
> Does anyone out there know how to make a cdrom bootable for the alpha?  Is
> this even possible (it should be)?

It is.  I'll assume you want to make an iso-9660 CD-ROM.

* make an iso9660 image of the file system you want to ROM, including a
/boot.  (I suggest mkisofs.)

* once you've done that, run installboot_cd9660 on the image.

* burn it on to a rom.

easy, eh?

I'm not sure about making an FFS CD-ROM.  It, too, should be possible,
but NetBSD's CD-ROM driver fakes up a disklabel rather than trying to
read a disklabel from the CD-ROM, and i'm not sure if it includes the
right magic to make FFS recognize the partition, etc.