Subject: Re: SRM vs ARC
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/1997 17:37:23
On August 11, you wrote:
> Many, in fact I'd say _most_, of the features in the newer versions of
> the SRM console are ... useless for the functions that console
> firmware is supposed to perform.  I'd trade multiple processes, lots
> of interactive help, 'more', pipes, a shell-like language, etc., away,

  Christ...Typing "173000g" at the ODT prompt of a pdp11 is JUST AS
FUNCTIONAL a boot sequence as all that fancy crap on these new
machines.  What's the motivation for putting these "kitchen sink"
monitors into these machines?  There *is* such a thing as overkill,
DEC!  My Multia has more functionality in its flash as my old CP/M
system did when it was running its whole OS.

  *sigh*

  I suppose it's all very nice until it starts getting in the way.

                           -Dave McGuire
                            mcguire@neurotica.com