Subject: Re: SRM vs ARC
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/1997 13:03:47
Looks like the SRM vs ARC mess is going to get even messier.
>From com.sys.dec:

> From: Petteri Heino <heino@mail.dec.com>
>
> ARC is the console Windows NT-based Alpha systems use. ARC is still
> used for some Alpha models, but the newer ones have AlphaBIOS which
> does the same things ARC does.
>
> SRM is the not so easy to use console which you would need for
> Digital UNIX and OpenVMS.

It is not encouraging to see not merely a 3rd version to worry
about, but one with "BIOS" in its name.

It is not encouraging to see that even DEC's own people don't like SRM.

I like SRM, although I'd like to see more documentation for it.
There are clearly a lot of untapped powerful features in there.

-Dave