Subject: Re: Are PC164 based alphas supported?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/1997 09:11:51
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> > Yes. Not only is there no generic kernel, there's no generic
> > bootloader. MILO has to be recompiled for every different Alpha
> > architecture it runs on, becuase it has embedded in it the custom
> > PALcode for that architecture.
> At least in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with having
> machine-dependent firmware.

Well, MILO is only firmware if you flash it into the flash RAM. :-)
(Which of course leaves you unable to load anything else.) These
days MILO seems more often loaded from/by the ARC console. I was

Curt Sampson	   Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates