Subject: Re: Are PC164 based alphas supported?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Juergen Weiss <weiss@uni-mainz.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/07/1997 09:57:31
Curt Sampson writes:
 > On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 >
 > > I've gotten the impression that the linux palcode provides a subset of
 > > the functionality of the DU palcode, and that the problem w/using the
 > > linux bootloader/palcode is that NetBSD currently makes use of some of
 > > the functionality that's only in the DU palcode.  Is that right?
 >
 > That's my impression, too. However, I'm not authoratative on this point.

Having had a look at the UDB palcode of milo, I can say that it
should run NetBSD as well as Linux (it's the OSF palcode from
the palcode development toolkit). The problem is, that the
NetBSD kernel uses some SRM console data structures and
subroutines.  This is certainly a solvable problem, but requires
some work. Besides on a UDB, NetBSD uses the tga settings of
the SRM console.

Juergen Weiss

--
Juergen Weiss		| Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum f"ur Datenverarbeitung,
weiss@uni-mainz.de      | 55099 Mainz, Tel: 06131/39-6361, FAX: 06131/39-6407