Subject: Re: Are PC164 based alphas supported?
To: Matthew Jacob <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/06/1997 13:05:35
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Your tricky problem is that you have to get a mass storage
> controller that the SRM will understand. I happen to use
> a Qlogic 1040. Curt Sampson or others have mentioned using
> other PCI controllers.

I can't see why it wouldn't understand the NCR 53c810 on a PCI
card; many, many other DEC machines have that on the motherboard
(still on the PCI bus). It's got the advantage of being cheap (about
Cdn$85), too. It can sometimes be a bit flakey, but I've had pretty
good success with it, and I'm actually using it in production
systems on the i386.

Curt Sampson	   Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates