Subject: Re: Are PC164 based alphas supported?
To: None <ccsanady@scl.ameslab.gov, gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/06/1997 12:39:37

>Matthew Jacob writes:
> >

> > However, you *can* get SRM for the AlphaPC164, and I've found
> > the board to be quite nice. I've been running off a system
> > I purchased from Aspen Systems for some months now and have
> > had no problems with it.
>
>Might the type of CPU also be an issue now as well?
>
>A week or two ago, there was somebody saying he had an AlphaPC164
>and that an older 433Mhz cpu worked just fine, but that a newer 'NT
>designated  500Mhz cpu wouldn't boot with the SRM firmware, but it
>would boot with the NT Arc/AlphaBios console.
>
>Did anybody ever determine if the SRM console now has some sort of
>hack in it which causes it to punt when it detects that it was booted
>on a 'NT-designated' CPU?  If so, you might end up having to pay 3 or
>4 times as much to get a Digital UNIX designated CPU.. Sigh..

Ah, sorry. I forgot about this foo. This one is more complicated- the
CPUs in this case have the PALcode located at a fixed address (not
compatibile for the OSF/1 PALcode).

I don't remember the details of this- but it should be fairly safe to
insist to the vendor you buy the systems or boards from that they
'must be able to run Digital Unix'.