Subject: Re: Anyone have an EB64+ that boots?
To: None <Benjamin.Culpepper@Eng.Sun.COM, port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG,>
From: Ross Harvey <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/04/1997 14:53:53
 > No, the first question is about running NetBSD/alpha on a system with
 > NT firmware.  I have the NT firmware, which I understand does not
 > work.  I also have this "other" ROM, which I think at some point was
 > used to boot OSF/1.  This leads me to believe that it is in some ways
 > similar to the SRM Console firmware, although it doesn't let you boot
 > from a SCSI disk.  I agree that it would be easier if I just had an SRM
 > image, but do you still think there's absolutely no chance of this
 > working?  Better yet, does anyone know where I can get an SRM image to
 > build a ROM out of?
 > Jack

Good point. The question is wrong but I think the answer still applies.

Anyway, is the one you have the "Alpha Microprocessors Evaluation
Board Debug Monitor"?  With commands like "preg", "netload", "stop", "go",
and "ladbx"? And I think a prompt like "EB64>"?

That one at least loads the OSF/1 palcode, which means it would be sort
of possible to boot with it _if_ the kernel were modified not to do
traps into the SRM console; these aren't going to be fielded at all by
the debug monitor. But nothing that now exists for NetBSD will work
with that monitor.
Ross Harvey	Avalon Computer Systems, Inc.
		Santa Barbara