Subject: Re: install NetBSD on DEC 3000/400 question??
To: Steve Chen <schen@orbit095.wwb.noaa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/23/1997 09:01:34
> I try to install NetBSD on DEC 3000/400. We are using DEC 3000/400 as VAX
> machine now.

What, do you mean it's running VMS?

> I ftp binary files from gate.dec.com to a UNIX machine. Could
> anyone give me some hint about how to install it on DEC 3000?
> Should I make new file system?

You don't actually say which binary files you have.  Depending on
which set of binaries you have, the process will be slightly
different.  However, there's a 'README' files that should have been in
the same place as the binaries that tries to describe the process.

The process ends up being something like:

put the disk image (with dd) on the a SCSI disk.

attach that disk to the 3000/400.

set the 3000/400 up to use a serial console (connect a cable from the
serial console port on the back of the machine to another system which
can be used, e.g. via tip, to drive the serial console).

boot the 3000/400 from the disk.

That should get you to a single-user prompt.

at that point (depending on the instructions in that README), you
should edit the disklabel of the disk (using 'disklabel') so that it
contains a swap partition of reasonable size (probably close to the
amount of RAM you have).  You should also create data partition(s) to
fill the remaining space on the disk.

Then you have to edit the network configuration files, the minimal set
of which are described in the README.

chris