Subject: Re: netbsd on alpha XL 266
To: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
From: Tom Linden <tom@thirdmillenium.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/17/1997 09:38:53
	The image you mailed me went to an Ultrix box (no floppy)
	so I ftp-ed it to the NT XL and using rawrite transfered
	it to floppy.

	Moving the jumper on the cpu board does indeed force the
	DROM code to attempt to load an image from floppy rather
	than the flashrom where the infamous ARC4.49 resides.
	After a flurry of head movement nothing happens, the screen
	remains blank.  This could be caused by a variety of reasons
	not the least of which is that the Matrox VGA card is not
	being initialized, but more likely, the DROM code is
	probably looking for some special code before it will
	try to execute the image (which I assume has been loaded
	into ram at this point).  By the by, this is nondestructive
	in that it does not try to write the flash.  In fact, if
	you are worried about this there is another jumper which
	will inhibit flash writes.

	Incidentally, there is another jumper, J3, which prevents
	control from passing from the Miniconsole (SROM code) to the
	DROM code, which in its turn loads from either the floopy or
	flashrom.  Attempting this, however, the screen remains black.
	Any idea if this might be fruitful and how to use it?

	I am reasonably comforted by the mail on crippled chips
	that mine (21064) is in theory capable of booting
	something other than NT.  However, without more detailed
	documentation, I feel a bit like Sisyphus in the second
	half of his career.

	Where can one get more detailed information, like a hardware
	reference manual, etc?

	Failing all else, any thoughts on how to get bash and friends
	running uner NT (yuk!) ?