Subject: Re: Anyone done a POVRAY port?
To: None <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/06/1997 09:32:53
> I use povray for rendering on occasion and
> was not impressed by this little 166 AXP chip
> when rendering side by side with a pentium 166 running windows95.

You'r running it on a 166MHz 21066, probably in an Multia or an
AXPpci33?

If so, do you understand that that is one of the _lowest_ overall
performance alpha CPUs, if not the lowest, that's even been in a
product?  (It's faster in terms of clock rate than some of the CPUs in
the TurboChannel systems, but its cache, memory and bus access is
... much less efficient.)  You're probably also running with only 256K
of cache if you've got a Multia, which would make the matter even
worse.

You shouldn't be expecting p166 performacnce out of a 21066@166.  From
the info at http://infopad.eecs.berkeley.edu/CIC/summary/local/,
a 21066A at _233_ MHz is just a bit better than a Pentium @ 75MHz in
terms of integer SPECmarks, and just a bit better than a Pentium @
120MHz in terms of FP SPECmarks.  And you can probably bet that that
system was tested with more cache than you are using, too (probably at
least 512k, if not 1 or 2M.)

cgd