Subject: Hard Error with Multia
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kortelainen Mika <k125374@cs.tut.fi>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/04/1997 00:18:35
Hey,

I tried just a few moment ago to boot NetBSD/alpha (snapshot of 970423)
on my Multia and it fails, complaining about
Hard Error - Error #45 - PKE:

Diagnostic name		ID
pka0_poll		0..08

and at some line it shows pka0.1.0.6.0 (with some words I forgot).
The drive is an IBM Spitfire (1GB, Fast-SCSI-II) in an external
box.  And the drive is terminated (it's the only external device).
SCSI cable is about one meter long, so it shouldn't be too long.

I have run (and run now again) Linux on this same machine so it is
more or less in working order.  But the disk I used to boot NetBSD
from hasn't been used that much lately, could this be a SCSI problem?
(I have made Linux filesystems on that disk and Linux didn't complain
about anything but perhaps NetBSD (or its ncr driver) is sensitive
to something Linux doesn't care about.)

Actually, when the machine boots (using SRM for NetBSD), it shows
for a little while something about that pka0.1.0.6.0 and continues
to make those funny graphics tests etc. before it goes to command
line.  So I think this might not be a NetBSD problem after all
(I use ARC for Linux and there has been no problems).

Could it be just that I managed to install that diskimage wrongly,
using just "dd if=diskimage of=/dev/sdb" (under Linux/axp on this
same machine)?  Should I use a certain block size or specify some
other flags?

Or should I upgrade the firmware (I've heard that there is at
least an ARC update, maybe also SRM)?

Thanks for any help!

	Mika Kortelainen