Subject: Updating console firmware on a 3000/400
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/28/1997 21:23:51
(Note: I apologize because this is not exactly a NetBSD question, but
I don't quite know who else to ask).

So a co-worker pawned off this old Alpha 3000/400 on to me (primarily
because he couldn't load Linux on it, because it's a TurboChannel
machine).  So I go to install NetBSD on it, and it hangs after probing
scc0 and scc1.  After I _read_ the documentation, I realize I need
a serial console, so I go back and hook one up, and it works.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to _set_ the console to
the serial port using this version of the SRM firmware.  I figure
this firmware is years out of date, so I go to install the latest
firmware on it.  A friend of mine found the V3_7 firmware CD (maybe
it was V3_8) with version 6.8 of the console firmware.  So I print
off the directions, set the ROM read/write jumper to "On", and boot
off the CD.  At the "Bootfile:" prompt, I enter in the following
name:

[dec3000]m400_v6_8.exe

(This is from the install document).  After I enter this in, the CD
spins a few times, then the machine prints "?HLT xxxx" (I'm sorry I
don't remember the exact error message, but this was at work, and
I'm at home now).

So, I'm wondering to myself, "what next?".  Is there something _else_
I need to upgrade on this machine as well?  It's pretty much a stock
Alpha from Digital (it _did_ have a nutty never-released FORE ATM
TurboChannel card, but I yanked that out, and it still does the
same thing).  I tried the V6_7 firmware as well, but that was still
a no-go.  Anyone have any suggestions?

--Ken