Subject: Re: Where should I start?
To: None <wada@ee.ibaraki.ac.jp>
From: Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/28/1997 13:41:04
> I'm very interested in alpha port of NetBSD.
> I've a PC164/433MHz machine on which Linux Alpha is running now.

> Where can I get SRM firmware to boot NetBSD on my Alpha (PC164)?
> Could someone tell me more about how to install and to boot?

	The cheapest way to get the SRM console for the various Alpha
motherboards is by buying the "Alpha EBSDK and Firmware Update Kit".
It will provide you with various manuals for such things as the SRM
console, as well as a CD-ROM from which you can install the SRM console
from, or make boot disks to do so.  The part number for this is:
QR-21B02-03.  This will set you back about $75.  Quite a savings
compared to buying Digital UNIX ($2000).  It is quite possible that the
part number for this package will change sometime soon, as the PC164X
and other new motherboards are released (for the 21164PC).

Carl