Subject: Re: LKM's on the alpha
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/25/1997 10:37:40
Excerpts from netbsd: 24-Apr-97 Re: LKM's on the alpha "Chris G.
Demetriou"@cs. (428)

> > I noticed that modload is
> > still a.out only -- would they work if I made modload ELF-aware?
>
> Yes, that'd probably work.  I've started doing that a few times, but
> each time realized that i'd rather do it a Different way, and that it
> wasn't worth my time to fix the existing code.
>
> If you fix the existing code, i'd be glad to integrate your fixes.

I've done a simple implementation some weeks ago
(made an ELF aware modload, fixed some int->long
bugs in the kernel).
The result didn't work, it always got a "memory management
error" (is this the equivalent of kernel page fault?) at the
module entry.
Because there are some points I don't yet understand
(ELF relocation, GP) I didn't investigate further.
If you need a starting point, tell me.

best regards
Matthias Drochner