Subject: AXPpci33 Serial Console Problems
To: NetBSD Alpha Users <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/1997 09:37:03
Has anyone got a serial console working on an AXPpci33 motherboard?
I'm using standard PC-type IDC <-> DB-25 connectors, and I've
checked the pinouts on them to make sure they match. Assuming you
count the pins like this:

        1 2 3 4 5
        6 7 8 9 10

they are wired properly. However, I can get neither the SRM console
nor NetBSD to do input or output to either serial port. I am running
the latest firmware, 4.7.

Unfortunately, I also had this motherboard set to autoboot, and I
did a `set console serial' and power-cycled. I still see the console
do the ROM emulation thing for the VGA BIOS and initialise the
keyboard, but unfortunately even when I unplug the drive it's
booting from, I can't get a prompt on the graphics console. Nor
can I seem to interrupt the boot process with ^C. Even booting from
an SRM-bootable failsafe disk loads the SRM monitor from floppy
and follows the same process.  Does anyone know of a way to get
out of this situation? Is there perhaps a way to clear the NVRAM?

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates