Subject: Re: Multia problems
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Russ Leefer <rml@jove.jupiter.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/25/1997 11:28:54
> From: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Multia problems

> > My guess is that some piece of hardware has flaked out and the thing
> > is now a doorstop, but I'm hoping otherwise.  If anybody has any ideas
> > here, I'd greatly appreciate your help!

> BTW, to those of you out there considering buying multias: I've now
> upgraded my "don't buy unless you want a cheap, but very slow, alpha
> at home," to simply "don't buy."  8-S

FWIW, we bought LOTS of multia's, which we use as the base for one of
our products.  They were flakey.
Then someone noticed that they all had some rework, and flux from the
rework wasn't cleaned off properly.
So now we run all of the motherboards through the dishwasher before
test, burnin, and shipping, and they're MUCH more reliable.

Russ