Subject: please, help about NetBSD for Alpha
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Veraldi <veraldi@sunvlsi4.bo.infn.it>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/20/1997 10:06:14
Hello,
I read the documentation about NetBSD for alpha on ftp.fi.freebsd.org
the nearest ftp site to me who I live in Europe.
Well I Am a poor student who is going to spend most of his money to buy
a Alpha at a very good prize.
The thing is that the DIGITAL Unix is too much expensive for me, I cannot
afford it,
so I would be interested to install NetBSD since It is the only one
Free UN*X os for ALPHA supporting the 64Bit.
Also I have a lot of experience with FreeBSD and I regard BSD UN*X as
a very good UN*X OS.
The thing is that I have not idea how to install the NetBSD on my ALpha.
Unlikely I can buy this ALpha at a very good price, but the OS configuration
is fixed, they give me WINDOWS NT on it.
I would like to switch to NetBSD then.
I also have used for years DIGITAL unix on alphas at university,
but I have not idea how to boot a alpha for installing a new OS.
I read on documentation about rz25 disk image, what is it?
on my alpha I do not have a tape for backup to be used to eventually
install the NetBSD, I have only disk drive.
I hope that you could help me giving me some more information about how
installing NetBSD on Alpha.
Thanks very much anyway.
Bye.

Regards,