Subject: kernel with today's changes now available.
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/1997 00:37:15
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/cgd/netbsd-GENERIC-970312.gz

That's an ELF-format kernel, so you should be running the latest
snapshot or boot blocks to try it, or you should try booting it with
the latest 'netboot' boot block (which can be found in the mdec tar
files in the latest snapshot).

It contains:

	Preliminary AlphaServer 8200 and 8400 support.

	Adaptec AHA 274x, 294x, and 394x, and AIC7xxx ("ahc") support.

	ISP 10x0 ("isp") support.

	BusLogic 7xx and 9xx ("bha") support.

The AlphaServer support has been tested on a single-CPU system (I
forget if it's an 8200 or 8400), and couldn't use multiple CPUs even
if it does manage to boot with multiple CPUs present.

The Adaptec "ahc" PCI support has been tested and works, as has the
ISP 10x0 support.  The ahc EISA support and bha support (for both EISA
and PCI) is currently untested.

I strongly encourage people to test the drivers in some minimal way,
if they have access to the hardware.

Miscellaneous Notes:

Most of the above-mentioned improvements are thanks to Matthew Jacob
of NASA Ames Research Center.  (I made the trivial fixes to the EISA
front ends for the ahc and bha, but he did the rest.)  If you ever run
into him, buy him some of his beverage of choice.  He deserves it.  8-)

AlphaStation 500 and 600 owners/users: this means that the on-board
SCSI controller is now supported!

This kernel (like the kernels in the snapshot) was built with a couple
of my experimental hacks/fixes.  If I've sent you bug fixes for
specific problems, keep them around until you know that they're
integrated into -current.

As always, I'm a good person to talk to about NetBSD/alpha bugs.  If
you run into problems with the AlphaServer 8200/8400 support or with
the ISP driver, you should probably contact both Matt
<mjacob@feral.com> and myself, or probably just Matt if it looks like
a hard problem.  8-)

Enjoy!

chris