Subject: Problems with latest snapshot.
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/10/1997 19:51:23
So, FYI, the following is the current list of 'known and fixed'
problems in the latest snapshot:

(1) xdm wouldn't properly load its greeter library.

(2) various X libaries wouldn't necessarily work right, dying with
    "Unresolved inheritance operation" messages.

These were caused by three bugs:

(1) a compiler bug relating to PLT entry definitions.
    This can cause problems in any place where you're
    comparing pointers to functions in different shared
    objects which are _set_ by different shared objects.
    ("don't ask.")  If you think you might run into this
    problem, get in touch and i'll send you the patch.

(2) some misconfiguration in the X11 configuration scripts.
    This only affects the X11 build; the problematic definitions
    are apparently not normally used outside the X build tree.

(3) some problems with crt0 which prevented the dl*() functions from
    ever working properly.  This will be a problem for all programs
    which use dl*().  I've got a solution for this, and it'll go
    into -current RSN.

I've put fixed a xdm binary and fixed X11 libraries in
ftp.netbsd.org:pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/970305/bin/x11-fixes.tar.gz

The next snapshot I build will contain all of these fixes, of course.

chris