Subject: Re: reboot vs. halt
To: None <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/1997 16:24:15
0.  Information Only:Matrix of Halt/Reboot Actions That I See.

1. F/W:
		Multia BL3 X3.5-72 (Nov 1994) f/w
		Alpha8400 XL-V4.1-6 (Nov 1996) f/w

2. S/W:
	Digital Unix 4.0
	NetBSD 1.2C

3. When I send mail on a subject, or a possible problem, I am making
no requests that anyone fix anything. I am presuming that one
of the following is true, in the following order:

	1) I'm mistaken, and that what I see is pilot error on my part,
	   or just plain "not a bug" (i.e., I didn't understand what
	   the behaviour is supposed to be).

	2) It's already fixed. I just need to update things.

	3) It may be a problem, and I should go and fix it. Whether
	   any changes I make are deemed worthy of inclusion into
	   the main source tree is a separate issue.

Below, *'s mark what I consider behaviours that violate what I call the
Principle of Least Surprise. I make no statements or presumptions as
to whether I think a problem is in the firmware or in anything else.

Note that many cases, NetBSD is the same as OSF/1.

Below, ?DEVICE? means that I didn't track down which device was
actually attempting to be rebooted (I have limited time to do this).

4. Multia Actions

*With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	OSF/1	HALTS	when you say 'reboot' from root prompt.

*With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	NetBSD	HALTS	when you say 'reboot' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	OSF/1	HALTS	when you say 'halt' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	NetBSD	HALTS	when you say 'halt' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	OSF/1	REBOOTS	BOOTDEF_DEV when you say 'reboot' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	NetBSD	REBOOTS	?DEVICE? when you say 'reboot' from root prompt.

*With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	OSF/1	REBOOTS	?DEVICE? when you say 'halt' from root prompt.

*With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	NetBSD	REBOOTS	?DEVICE? when you say 'halt' from root prompt.

5. 8400 Actions

With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	OSF/1	REBOOTS	BOOTED_DEV when you say 'reboot' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	NetBSD	HALTS	when you say 'reboot' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	OSF/1	HALTS	when you say 'halt' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as HALT,
	NetBSD	HALTS	when you say 'halt' from root prompt.

With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	OSF/1	REBOOTS	BOOTED_DEV when you say 'reboot' from root prompt.

*With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	NetBSD	HALTS	when you say 'reboot' from root prompt,
	after printing out (from prom) 'boot failure'.

With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	OSF/1	HALTS	when you say 'halt' from root prompt.

*With Prom Variable auto_action as BOOT,
	NetBSD	HALTS	when you say 'halt' from root prompt,
	after printing out (from prom) 'boot failure'.
	(I'm actually assuming that this is probably attempting the
	 same action as reboot here).

6. Next Step?

I am examining prom.c at this moment.