Subject: Re: Make build for shared libs
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/04/1997 10:45:37
Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
[...]
> The right solution to this problem is to have a 'build tree' from
> which binaries can be used while building.  E.g. when you build a
> library, it not only builds the .o's and .a's, but also places the
> .a's, exported headers, etc., in a place that's easily accessible to
> other parts of the build process.  That's currently not done with
> (quite conceptually broken) DESTDIR scheme, causing the DESTDIR scheme
> to require that libraries be 'install'ed before they are used.  (Note
> that 'make build' does an install of the libaries before trying to
> build programs from them!)  The closest you could come to 'the right
> thing' with the DESTDIR build scheme is to specially build and install
> csu before the rest of lib is built.  However, that's at best a hack,
> and i _really_ DO NOT want people to become accustomed to using
> DESTDIR builds, since they are fatally flawed (as implemented), and
> should change significantly.

I agree that the DESTDIR scheme is at least sub-optimal. I remember
commenting two years ago about the way NetBSD handles include files
and you jumped on me then 8-). Any proposal that I'd come up with
would deal with the include files too, so it would get jumped on (again).
For the time being, then, I'd just like to see the system build properly
on alpha. If that means adding:

(cd ${.CURDIR}/lib/csu && ${MAKE} depend && ${MAKE} && ${MAKE} install)

to /usr/src/Makefile before building libs, then we should at least
do that!

> Curt Sampson was working on a better replacement for the current build
> lossage, but I don't know if he ever got anywhere with it.
>

> cgd

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, 119 Cecil Street, South Melbourne Vic 3205, Australia