Subject: Re: DEC Alpha 3000 300X
To: Matt Mc Namara <mmcnamar@gr-lakes.com>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/03/1997 10:20:27
Matt Mc Namara wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have downloaded NetBSD 1.2, gunzip'd it, and completed a dd onto the
> destination disk. After this was completed, I then proceeded to boot off

Did you dd to the raw disk? What OS are you using to do the dd? If it
is Digital Unix, you will probably need to use the -z option to
disklabel to zero the raw disk (/dev/rz1c, assuming you're not going
to clobber the main disk), before you can dd to the disk.

> the new disk. The system followed its various init messages, then
> proceeds to boot, then comes to the >> prompt. I have tried using the
> boot -fl s <device> and I get the same result. The disk that dd'd the
> image onto was the 1.05 disk. Is this a problem? Should the destination

No. Although the image is smaller than your disk, the disklabel can be
edited later to give you access to the rest of the disk.

> disk have been created first with newfs then dd'd?

The dd will clobber anything that you have on the disk.

> Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
>
> Matt
> mmcnamar@gr-lakes.com

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, 119 Cecil Street, South Melbourne Vic 3205, Australia