Subject: Re: Support for AXP Motherboard
To: None <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/21/1997 11:27:25

>> If you want to blow $2000 on Digital UNIX, you can get the "official"
>> SRM console on the Firmware CD-ROM :-)
>
>Yeah, DEC is being ... phenomenally stupid here.

For large companies keep in mind that they all aren't one large group mind-
there are different groups with different goals.

>It's like, if they're going to charge an arm and a leg for DU, fine.

Actually, if you just get ahold of the CD, you can just install it.
Without runtime licences, you can only log in as root, but so what?
su - XXX works for me.....

>Charging an arm and a leg for the firmware is effectively changing the
>price of the hardware based on the OS you're planning to run on it.
>
>If that's "whatever it takes," then they must be in _really_ pathetic
>financial shape...

Well, that may be true Chris. But let's not spite ourselves here. We'd
be in *really* bad shape if DEC implodes more. Whaddya want to do then?
Work on MIPS or POWERPC netbsd port?