Subject: Re: Support for AXP Motherboard
To: Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/21/1997 14:03:27
> > Yes, this motherbard is known as Noname AXPpci33 and its has
> > been supported for a long while. Its a rather slow machine though.
>
> Are both the PS/2 and AT keyboard connectors supported?

Yes.  In fact, the keyboard controllers are the same, and the signals
are electrically compatible.  Only the connectors are different.

You can actually get ps/2<->AT keyboard connector converters at many
computer stores.

> > I would say their Cabriolet deal is better.
>
> Indeed they are.  I have seen them go for $700 with 2MB of L2 cache,
> and a 275MHz 20164A (new).  However, I don't belive they are supported,
> and it seems to be very difficult to obtain the SRM console for this
> particular board (unless one can use the same firmware from other
> APECS-based machines like the AlphaStation 255).
>
> If you want to blow $2000 on Digital UNIX, you can get the "official"
> SRM console on the Firmware CD-ROM :-)

Yeah, DEC is being ... phenomenally stupid here.

It's like, if they're going to charge an arm and a leg for DU, fine.
Charging an arm and a leg for the firmware is effectively changing the
price of the hardware based on the OS you're planning to run on it.

If that's "whatever it takes," then they must be in _really_ pathetic
financial shape...

cgd