Subject: Re: Up and running with an AXPpci
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/17/1997 14:54:12
"Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> > My de ethernet card doesn't work.  Is this supported in that release?
>
> Yes, it's supported.  What kind of board do you have?  (dmesg output
> would be good.  actually, make that complete dmesg output, because i'd
> like to make sure that your system is actually one that's been seen
> before.)

I'll run over and copy it all down.  I have to transcribe it for now,
since there are no other computers near the corner I installed the Alpha
in.

> > [ re: machine checks ]
>
> Others have reported problems like that, but as i recall such problems
> were all either:
> 	(1) remedied by firmware upgrades, or
>
> 	(2) remedied by fixes to the 'ncr' driver.

I'm running the most recent firmware found on the www page (I can provide
references if anyone is interested)

As for (2), that's where I'd put my money.

> It'd be sort of interesting to see what information is printed about
> the machine checks, esp. what's at the PC and RA when the machine
> checks are taken.  (you can use 'list *<hex address>' in a GDB run on
> the kernel (with debugging symbols, i.e. the .gdb version of the
> kernel) to tell you that.)

I'll try to find out what the PC and RA values were.

> > Is anyone working on getting the (seemingly) ISA IDE controller working
> > on the alpha?  If not, I will probably work on this, hopefully cleaning
> > up the crusty old wd driver in the process.
>
> Actually, i've already done this, as has Charles (seperately).
> Neither are ready for the master source tree, yet, though.

Super.  I hope they will be soon, as that would give me another 1.5G
or so of disk space, nearly all of which will end up with source.

--Michael